August is payback time. All that hard work done earlier in the year has resulted in cut flowers adorning the house and fruit and veg being harvested for wonderful meals. What can be better than an alfresco meal of home-grown salad, veg and fruit eaten with friends and family in your own colourful garden?
Whilst podding your peas, making your jam or oven drying your tomatoes why not have a browse through our latest free catalogues? Available from early August are our Kitchen Garden and Bulb Catalogues. If you haven’t received yours by the 12th August, please get in touch and we’ll rush them to you. With every bulb order placed we’ll include 15 free daffodil bulbs!
- Keep pinching out the side shoots on cordon tomatoes and harvest the fruits when ripe. This will encourage other fruits to mature and ripen.
- Maintain your watering and feeding regime. If you’re going on holiday, ask a neighbour or friend to pop by and do it for you. In return they can help themselves!
- If the weather is very hot and dry, then the lawn is best left alone but if you really need to cut it then lift the mower’s blades to their highest setting. Leave the clippings on the ground to act as a mulch.
- Order onion sets, shallots and garlic for autumn planting
- Sow herb seeds in pots to harvest from the kitchen windowsill in autumn.
Cucumbers are so easy to grow with outdoor ones readily available plus small varieties suitable for hanging baskets. So no doubt many of us will be experiencing a cucumber glut this August. Later this month our blog will give some ideas of ways to deal with this glut but for starters here’s some quick suggestions. Cucumber works well with:
Herbs such as mint, thyme and dill
When mixing a gin and tonic to enjoy whilst browsing your latest Dobies catalogue plop in some sliced cucumber instead of lemon. Gorgeous.
Do be a Wallflower
Our customers spoke, we listened and as a result we are once again offering bare root wallflower plants. Traditionally wallflowers were sold in greengrocer shops, wrapped in old newspaper or tied in bundles, standing in a bucket of dirty water.
Many of our more experienced customers have recognised that these bare root plants may look a bit sorry but establish quickly to give stronger plants that flower earlier and last longer. Freshly dug from the ground we offer a choice of 2 striking colour mixes plus four individual colours – red, pink, gold and cream.
This is your last chance to buy autumn/winter/spring flowering extra value plus plants. For just £25 (plus P&P) we’ll send you a winter bedding collection of 270 plants. Imagine all those colourful container, pots and borders brightening the winter months!