“It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” – Lewis Grizzard
July is when we reap the rewards of all the hard work in the garden! We get to eat the edibles that we’ve grown and fill our vases with the ornamentals. It’s the month when we enjoy our home-grown crops of tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, strawberries and more.
True satisfaction and pleasure can be gained from a delicious meal of homegrown fruit and veg enjoyed in a well looked after garden with a vase of sweet smelling, freshly picked annuals adorning the table.
Hopefully July will be a lovely warm month meaning that regular watering will be necessary… In fact, “water/feed/weed/repeat” is the July gardening mantra.
Jobs To Do This Month
- Remove duck weed from ponds and keep the water level topped up. It’s surprising how much water will evaporate during a sunny spell.
- Tie in climbers and stake dahlias and other tall plants to prevent them flopping
- Maintain a consistent watering and feeding regime, remembering that different varieties of plants will have different needs and that plants growing in pots will need a little extra
- Keep up the fight against slugs, snails and other pests. Encourage birds and other wildlife into the garden and they’ll lend their support. Take advantage of our Seaweed Feed & Protect 3 In 1 Kit offer – Now only £24 (worth £34.97) if you need a helping hand.
- Remove side shoots from cordon tomatoes and water and feed regularly.
- It can get very hot in the greenhouse so leave the door and vents open and consider applying shading paint or similar. Damping down the floor with a hose will help to reduce the temperature and increase humidity
- Pick cucumbers as soon as they’ve reached the right size for the variety and are still nice and firm. A slice of cucumber in a G&T makes a lovely change to the traditional lemon.
- Keep picking courgettes to encourage the plant to keep producing. Share with friends and neighbours until they beg you to stop.
- Early potatoes will be ready for lifting but dig under just the one plant first to check they are the size you want.
- Prune shrubs that flowered in early summer. Take a look at our Spear & Jackson range of cutting tools that have been developed with The Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew!
- One of the least strenuous of gardening jobs must be deadheading. With a careful snip snip here and a pinch pinch there your plants will be revived and freshened. The Gardeners Deadheader Bundle is the perfect piece of kit for gardeners everywhere!
Now is a good time to apply some fresh compost to any pots containing tomato plants. This will add much-needed nutrients and encourage new roots. To get the most from your plants, do keep your watering consistent and feed weekly with high potash fertiliser. Keep removing side-shoots from cordon tomatoes. Most importantly, pick and enjoy! Our Seaweed Feed & Protect 3 In 1 Kit is now only £24 (worth £34.97) and perfect for tomatoes.
We’re all too aware by this point that 2020 has been a strange year so far. Many of us find ourselves spending more time at home, and our gardening community has adapted very well and remains strong.
We know that with growing your own fruit and veg comes much pride and satisfaction and what better way to showcase the fruits of your labour than recognising your hard work and the wonderful produce you have grown through lockdown .
We have 4 categories for you to enter your amazing photos: Growing with Family, Small Spaces Growing, Rustic & Repurposed Gardens, Growing for the first time. We’ll choose one winning image from each category and its owner will receive a £50 Dobies Gift Voucher to spend online.
Summer Furniture Event
The Dobies Summer Furniture Event is what you need to be able to sit outside, enjoy the sun and relax in your garden. We’ve compiled an extensive range of quality garden furniture, from beautiful zero maintenance love seats, lighting and RHS approved furniture, to bistro sets, benches and BBQ accessories. So, with everything you need to make the most of the long summer days, the only question is hammock or day bed?!
This week we’ve added some fantastic decorative garden accessories that make a lovely gift for anyone that loves spending their time in the garden… and with these prices you’ll be able to order one for yourself too.
Bees’ Needs Week
Are you keen to help pollinators? Whether you have a window box or a large garden, there are some simple things you can do to help. Bees’ Needs Week is an annual event coordinated by Defra, working alongside charities, businesses, conservation groups and academic institutions to raise awareness of bees and other pollinators.
This year they will be running the Bees’ Needs Week online from the 13th-19th, sharing online positive examples and ways in which everyone can continue to help bees and other pollinators close to home.
There are five simple actions you can take to help pollinators and make sure their populations are sustained:
- Grow more flowers, shrubs and trees
- Let your garden grow wild
- Cut your grass less often
- Don’t disturb insect nest and hibernation spots
- Think carefully about whether to use pesticides
Watch this handy video that talks about these 5 actions: https://youtu.be/2wtktAjeLB4
Turn Your Garden Into A Bee Haven!
Bees are dependent on the nectar and pollen of flowers. To supply a continuous food source for the bees, plant a variety of species that will bloom from spring to autumn. Most bees prefer perennial flowers, so herbs and traditional cottage garden plants are great.
If you’re looking for a real bee magnet that’s ready to plant out, the Sedum Atlantis is a plant for our times…drought tolerant, suitable for small spaces and attractive to bees. The vibrantly coloured serrated leaves & the yellow flowers will make a wonderful haven for our friendly pollinators.
9cm Potted Plant only £7.99 or Buy 3 for £15
2 Litre Potted Plant only £9.99 or Pick & Mix across our range of 2 Litre Perennials – Buy any 3 for £24 or 6 for just £33!
Summer Colour In An Instant!
If you have left it late or haven’t been able to find any Summer Bedding we’ve got the perfect solution for you! Give your neighbours garden envy with our selection of 9cm bedding plants – fully established and flowering to add instant colour and interest to beds, baskets and containers. Our skilled nursery workers will pick out a selection that are looking at their best at the time of despatch.
18 x 9cm Bedding Plants – Our Selection only £30! That’s only £1.67 a plant!
Autumn Flowering Bulbs
While we may be enjoying some fantastic weather in our stunning summer gardens, let’s start to look ahead to the autumn and some fantastic autumn flowering bulbs. In particular, the amazing Saffron Crocus!
The beautiful autumn-blooming Saffron Crocus sativus is, as its name suggests, the flower from which we gather saffron. Renowned for being the most expensive spice in the world, Saffron provides the quintessential seasoning for paella as well as other Mediterranean dishes and is a staple for creating the perfect yellow rice to accompany your favourite curry. Not only can the stigmas be used for flavouring and colouring dishes, the vibrant lilac-purple blooms will also bring a dash of colour to your autumn garden. Truly a win win.
Give them a try and you too can look forward to the magical experience of picking your very own “red gold”. Look out for them each morning, dangling from the throats of the flowers: bright, alluring and full of promise. Once cut and dried, they can be stored in an airtight jar for several years!
The Saffron Crocus will thrive in a well drained border and can be grown in containers on your patio. They are also super hardy and multiply rapidly to give stunning blooms and a steady supply of Saffron year after year.
Offer Of The Month
VegTrug With Mystery Parcel Worth Up To £50!
The VegTrug offers a stylish way to grow delicious, nutritious fresh vegetables on your patio!
It provides a veg patch at an easy and comfortable working height (ideal for the elderly or wheelchair users), and is V-shaped so takes less filling while still allowing you to grow crops that need deep soil (like carrots).
The Mystery Parcel includes practical gardening products – it may contain such items as gloves, tools, cane toppers, feeds and grow tunnels etc.. as we said it’s a bit of a mystery … but you can be sure it will be useful and practical items for your gardening.
VegTrug Classic 1.8m Greywash Now Only £199.99 With Mystery Parcel Worth £50
VegTrug Classic 1m Greywash Or Natural Now Only £129.99 With Mystery Parcel Worth £20