Chitting Potatoes – Is it Necessary?
January 19, 2017
Zinnia – the Flower of 2017
January 11, 2017
Zinnias are declared as being the flower of the year for 2017. With their huge range of colours, heights and flower sizes there’s at least one zinnia for every garden.
Dobies Gardening Quiz Answers
December 29, 2016
Here’s hoping you enjoyed a special Christmas and found time to complete the 2016 Dobies Gardening Quiz. Interested to know how well you did? Then checkout the answers below and post a comment telling us your score. We’d love to hear from you.
Dobies Christmas Gardening Quiz
December 22, 2016
The Dobies Christmas Gardening Quiz is perfect for when there’s nothing on the TV and its too cold to go for a walk. Just settle down in a comfy chair and have a go at the gardening related (sort of!) questions. Good luck!
Christmas Gardens – Inside and Out
1. How are Hellebore seeds spread?
2. When snow settles what effect does it have on the soil below?
3. What Christmas plant grows high up on the branches of a host tree?
4. Which Christmas houseplant is famed for its colourful bracts?
5. English Ivy (Ilex aquifolium) is dioecious. What does this mean?
6. Frost changes the taste of veg such as parsnips and sprouts. In what way?
7. What is the first fully blight resistant tomato, exclusive to Dobies?
8. A red leafed vegetable is perfect for a winter salad, what is it?
9. The Women’s Institute may have a link to which winter vegetable?
10. Which purple cauliflower retains its colour when cooked?
11. Who made Christmas trees popular in England?
12. What are the 3 main types of real Christmas tree?
13. Can you eat your Christmas tree?
14. Why does Norway gift a Christmas Tree to Britain each year?
15. How old is the average Christmas tree when cut?
16. According to the well-known folk carol which tree wears the crown?
17. Who wrote In the Bleak Mid-Winter?
18. Who composed the Nutcracker Suite?
19. Where was Chris Rea going to spend Christmas?
20. Originally who was it that went “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”?
21. Where does Santa go when he’s feeling poorly?
22. What is the most popular Christmas wine?
23. Why are Christmas trees no good at knitting?
24. Who do MI6 have to look out for at Christmas?
25. Why does Father Christmas need not one, not two but three gardens?
So, how did you do in our Christmas Gardening Quiz?
The answers will be posted on the 29th December.